Thursday, April 29, 2010

Refractive Amblyopia

I think "Ambylopia" might be my new favorite word. It's fun to say out loud. It kind of reminds me of "amoeba" which I also think is a neat word. And amoeba makes me think of the word "blob". But "blob" definitely has nothing to do with Refractive Amblyopia. Refractive Amblyopia is what Landon was diagnosed with today. Along with Astygmatism.

Two weeks ago, Landon went for his 5-year well-visit and failed his vision test. We were referred to an opthamologist. Our original appointment was scheduled for July. However, waiting that long to be seen about his eyes (I think eyes are a pretty big deal, don't you?) was not ok with me. So, I chose to advocate really hard for Landon. His incredible pediatrician ended up pulling some strings and we were seen today.

I like to say "Refractive Amblyopia" but the other word for it is "lazy eye". I learned there are two types of lazy eyes. The kind that you can see (one eye looks different from the other eye) and the kind that you can't see (the kind that Landon has). So, by looking at Landon you can't tell anything is obstructing his vision. But there's actually a good bit going on.

The treatment plan is glasses and patches. He'll wear glasses from now until he chooses to wear contacts several years down the road. And he'll wear patches every day beginning today for 4 hours per day over his stronger eye for the next 3 years. This will force his weaker eye to build some muscles and work harder.

Landon thinks it's cool that he gets to wear a patch on his eye because pirates wear patches. Praise the Lord for pirates! He also thinks it's cool that he gets to wear glasses because the ones he picked out are blue and blue is his favorite color.

It was a big answer to prayer today that nothing more serious is going on and that his diagnosis will not require surgery.

Oh, and don't even get me started on how handsome he looks in his glasses.





10 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see that even handsomer little man!!!!! Praying for you and your sweet boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christy,
    I am Lori Brooks sister Katie. I was checking Lori's blog when I saw your title in the side bar. I was diagnosed with amblyopia when I was 12. As a 12 year old, I was not into wearing the patch and at least at that time was told I couldn't wear glasses cause it would give me double vision. Anyway, I have been wearing a contact in my left eye ever since and my vision has improved all it will in that eye. It is great that Landon is willing to wear the patch and more importantly that you all caught it while he was still young. Good luck with everything.
    -Katie Whitlock

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell Landon, the Terry household definitely thinks patches are cool! I am so thankful it was nothing more serious. We love that sweet boy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christy, did you know that I had a drifting eye as a child? I ended up having to have surgery because it was a little more serious. I distinctly remember having to wear a patch for all of my 2nd grade year. I am so glad y'all caught it early (definitely encouraging me to follow up with Drew who was borderline last summer!). I think it's totally adorable that he loves the patch because pirates wear patches.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tell Landon I said Aargh Matey! Can't wait to see some pics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jordan will be jealous because her boyfriend gets to wear glasses!!!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear this, but so happy they caught it early. I bet he is precious in his glasses!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dylan will be very jealous of Landon's getting to wear a patch for the same reason - who knew pirates would be so awesome once we had little boys? Thankful that Landon's diagnosis is treatable and was caught early on ... I'm with Kevin - can't wait to see pics of Pirate Landon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is highly informatics, crisp and clear. I think that everything has been described in systematic manner so that reader could get maximum information and learn many things. https://www.surgeongate.org

    ReplyDelete
  10. you have got an amazing blog here! would you wish to make some invite posts on my weblog? https://visualaidscentre.com/lasik-eye-surgery/

    ReplyDelete