Friday, March 5, 2010

The Teacher Makes the Difference

Two years ago, I took a step aerobics class for the very first time. I was a bit nervous so I told the instructor that I was new. She nodded her head at me and class began. Honestly, I have NEVER been so lost in my entire life. She used words like "rocking horse" and "repeater". It was a different language. The class lasted an hour, and for at least half that time I stood still with my mouth hanging open. It was the worst workout of my life. At one point, a rude lady walked over to me and asked, "Can you even see the instructor?" I felt helpless and like the biggest klutz on the planet. But the thing is, I'm not a klutz. I'm athletic. I'm coordinated. But because I was in new territory I needed a TEACHER to TEACH me.

Well, fast forward two years. My friend, Karen, asked me to come to step aerobics. I said, "Absolutely not! I tried it two years ago and the teacher didn't care about me at all! I'm perfectly content with my other classes!" I told her about my experience two years ago and she immediately said, "Well, you should try the class that meets on Mondays. Erin is the instructor and she's great." So, very reluctantly, I showed up to class on Monday. I told Erin I was new. She immediately walked over, introduced herself, and gave me some pointers before class began. As class started, she made eye contact with me as if to say, "I know you're new at this. I'm going to help you." She used language I understood and modeled the routine. One hour later, I had experienced one of the best workouts of my life!

So, what was the difference? Was it the gym? Nope. Same gym. Was it the time of day? Nope. I work out that time of day every day. Was it my fitness level? Nope! In fact, I'm in worse shape now than I was two years ago because I just had a baby a few months ago! The difference was the TEACHER.

This is what is happening every single day in schools. There are many kids hating every second of their school experience because there are no teachers TEACHING them. And there are kids loving every second of their school experience because day after day, teachers are meeting those kids where they are and taking them where they can not go alone.

All the research on education points to the fact that, more than any other factor, the teacher is the one that makes the difference. If you have a child in school and you feel that he is not being taught, advocate! Meet with the teacher or an administrator. Do your research. Because, like it or not, your child's teacher is making a HUGE difference in his life, for the good or for the bad.


2 comments:

  1. Don't I know that is true! Faith Savannah did not like school at ALL until you came along! Thank you so much for really teaching her...not only reading, math, etc., but also to be a great friend, to love, to encourage, to try her best, to have confidence to try new things. C, you are one of those rare jewels!~chele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! Helping children see learning through new eyes and feeling that sense of pride and accomplishment will keep them coming back day after day for a taste of that sweet gift we call LEARNING! Miss you so much! Terri Lynn

    ReplyDelete