Monday, March 22, 2010

Patience

Lately, I've been struggling with patience. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that I have 3 children under the age of 5 or the fact that I'm a great sinner who is reminded daily of my need for grace.

Yesterday, my pastor preached a thoughtful sermon on patience. I definitely had some "Ah-ha" moments and big reminders of some areas in which I need to be more obedient. Pastor Mike's sermon prompted me to make a list of specific areas where I lose my patience. Be prepared. I'm being real. Some of these areas are super silly. Some are bigger. But they're where I'm at in this season of life. They're the day to day stuff that brings this struggle of impatience to life for me each and every day.

Here are a few:
1. I lose my patience when Reagan takes her clothes off and puts on a princess dress right before I need to be walking out the door to take Landon to school. It wouldn't be a big deal if we were coming straight home, but we are usually heading to the gym after I drop Landon off, and the gym doesn't allow crowns and high heels and wands and princess dresses. So, I lose my patience as I re-dress her in pants and a shirt.

2. I am losing my patience with how long it is taking me to get my pregnancy weight off. I know it's the whole third child thing. I know I had a c-section. Blah, blah, blah. But I'm ready to fit back into all my clothes. And I'm not there yet.

3. I lose my patience when the lady in front of me in line at the grocery store argues with the cashier over a coupon that will save her 50 cents. I sort of want to just tell the lady, "I'LL GIVE YOU FIFTY CENTS IF YOU WILL JUST GO!"

4. I am really passionate about advocating for kids and I see a lot of change that needs to happen in schools. I want all of that change to happen right-this-instant. I lose my patience when I see change happening more slowly than I want.

5. Landon loves this book about an ostrich named Howard. LOVES it. When we visit the zoo and he sees the ostrich, he references Howard. It is definitely one of my least favorite books on the planet. It lasts forever. I lose my patience reading it to him. It's just so long and boring.

Yesterday, I was reminded that the 3 biggest blockers of patience are pride, arrogance, and haste. Very convicting! All of the areas I struggle with are associated with either my own pride and arrogance or being in a huge hurry!

Favorite quote of the sermon: "Impatience is rooted in a distrust of God." In the big stuff as well as the seemingly small stuff that is so true!

So, I'm working on being obedient to God by exhibiting the patience He has given me. In the big stuff. In the small stuff. In every aspect of my life.

It's a minute by minute, hour by hour, day by day act of obedience. And it's waaaaaaay hard.
But one thing I love about how hard it is is that it's a continual reminder that I'm not God so I need God.

I LOVE that I was talking to one of my best friends on the planet about patience today. We were talking on our cell phones. She was in her neighborhood. I was on my way to class. We were having this great discussion about how convicting the sermon was and in mid-sentence she yelled at the driver of the car next to her that had just given her a dirty look and maybe a dirty gesture, "I DIDN'T KNOW WHERE YOU WERE GOING!" And for the next 5 minutes, she seriously thought about going back to the driver and giving her a little piece of her mind. And then we realized all of that happened as we were having a conversation about patience! What a real moment. Hilarious. Convicting. And REAL.

Praying for obedience in the area of patience.
Grateful for God's grace.


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this Christy! So glad that I can live life with such a great friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post - especially as I sit here, at 39wks and 5 days pregnant, feeling like it's never going to happen. I need to be patient. It's funny how I thought God had taught me patience by having us wait to get pregnant for so long. Hah. Apparently, I'm not through learning it.

    ReplyDelete