Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The DTR

Do people still use that term? The DTR? I'm not sure. I need to ask some of my really cool twenty-year-old friends. Back in the olden days, The DTR stood for The "Defining The Relationship" Talk. It took most couples about 5-10 hours to have it and afterward their friends would say in a serious voice, "How did the DTR go?" Here's the story of our DTR. It took us about 5 minutes. Because that's how I roll.

My senior year of college, I sang in the FCA praise band. We were AWFUL. Josh Ridings led it (the commander-in-chief of the current Josh Ridings Band and now he's awesome!!!!) but back in college we were a very bad praise band. Mainly because if we messed up we literally stopped singing and playing instruments and just laughed into the microphones. You think I'm kidding. I'm perfectly serious. Also, I was big time scared to get in front of people and FCA had boatloads of people so I think I might have made the quietest possible sound known to man while being all red and blotchy.

In spite of all of that, the president of FCA, Nathan Something, thought I was a hottie. So on January 26th he asked me be his date to the FCA semi-formal. I said "yes" then drove home and called my mom. I told her a great guy asked me on a date. I told her I don't know his last name. I also told her I think he's in the military because his hair is very, very short.

I assumed he just asked me because he's the president and presidents need to go to their own semi-formals so he searched for the hottest woman and settled for me. I figured he'd take me to the semi-formal, take me home, drop me off, and then that would be the end of that. But I assumed wrong.

He kept calling me and pursuing the mess out of me. I kept coming up with excuses to not go out with him. I needed to study. I needed to get a good night's sleep. Blah, blah, blah.

Finally, on February 8th, after heaps of me being a meanie and heaps of him being a real man, he asked me for the billionth time to go out. I again said "no". And that's when he said, "If you haven't noticed, I've been trying to find ways to spend time with you." And that's when I said in the most blunt voice known to man, "What are your intentions?" (That's how you reduce the DTR from 5 hours to 5 minutes. I know. I'm awesome.) He said, "I like you. I want to date you. And if that works out, I want to marry you." Nice. To the point. Logical. Makes sense to me. Certainly don't plan on marrying anyone I haven't dated first. Let's give it a go. So, I said "yes", we went to a coffeehouse, talked for a bajillion hours and the rest is history.

The perfect DTR.

8 comments:

  1. i loved this post! especially the part about nathan's hair.

    i think i must have been in roanoke when nathan was president? so i missed you singing in the praise band. didn't even know you had done that. or maybe i am really old and that was when i started teaching?

    this was the extent of tom's dtr talk with me: so, i guess we're dating. and i said, ok. and that was it. you know, he's one for lots of words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellen, I'm pretty sure you're just that old. (I said that in a really sweet voice.) Because I remember you were teaching while we were engaged and some other engaged girls and I came over to your house and you gave us a little talking to about married life. There's one tip I'll never forget you telling us but I can't mention it on this blog. But, it was a very good tip if you know what I mean. Maybe I'll tell you about it next year at the fair. heehee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. completely awesome. my recent DTR lasted 5 minutes also. I need to ask some youngsters if they say "DTR" anymore. They probably now do it on Facebook or Tumblr, since facebook is so 2008. Also, the 2 of us leading worship was the most fun/scariest/terriblest thing ever. i absolutely loved it. I cant believe how bad we were.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh. my. groceries. i had forgotten that. totally. but now i remember it. y'all sat on my couch and i talked at you. and you listened! and apparently i said something of worth?

    and so i am that old. because we bought that house when we had been married for almost a year.

    well, i look forward to our future conversation at the fair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad I was part of your life when you met wonderful Nathan and so glad to be part of it now (although would love to be much closer). Love you! Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a funny story. Sounds like Nathan.

    The DTR Jeff and I had consisted of him holding my hand and asking me if that was ok. I told him it was.

    I'm curious about this married lady advice you got now....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great DTR story and I must be really old bc I've never heard that term. I must be awesome too though bc my DTR consisted of Matthew and I kissing and then me saying, "Are we dating bc I don't just kiss people?" The rest is history. Have a great Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Christy! Loved this post! And by the way, the praise band was GREAT!! You and Nathan are such a wonderful couple!!!

    ReplyDelete