Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Doctor's Appointments and Surgeries

I'll start with the youngest:
Connor

9th month well-visit stats:
height: 27 1/2 inches (31%)
weight: 17 lbs. 3 oz. (9%)

Even though he's skinny, his weight is steady so the doctor is not concerned.
He had his hemoglobin checked and it was low. I invited him to join me in the Anemic Club and we high-fived.

And then I had the traditional conversation with the doctor:
Doctor: How is he doing?
Me: Great. So happy. Sleeping great.
Doctor: Ok. Let me check his ears.
Me: Cool. I'm sure he's perfect.
Doctor: He's got an ear infection.
Me: Awesome.

And that leads me to the great news......Monday he's getting tubes! Hooray!

And next we have:
Reagan

3 year well-visit stats:
height: 36 1/2 inches (37%)
weight: 29 lbs. (31%)

She thought getting her blood pressure checked was the coolest thing ever. She can draw a vertical line, jump on two feet, stand on one foot, say her first and last name, say her age, and follow multi-step directions.

And this was her conversation with the doctor:
Doctor: Are you brushing your teeth every day?
Reagan: Yes, I do it all by myself. All by myself. All by myself.
Me: But Daddy and I help.
Doctor: Are you eating lots of healthy fruits and vegetables?
Reagan: Yes, like pop-tarts and cookies and goldfish.
Me: She eats grapes and bananas and apple slices.

And lastly:
Me

I've had stomach pains for the past several months. I was sent for an ultrasound last week which revealed an enlarged gallbladder, gallstones, and kidney stones.

Last week I visited a urologist about my kidney stones. I have two large kidney stones that are too big to be passed, so the doctor explained that he will probably stick me in a tub of water, shock me (which will bruise me) to explode the kidney stones, then I should be able to pass them. I think all of that is a terrible idea but I'm going to do it. But not before having my gallbladder removed.

I went to a surgeon today. He pressed one spot on my abdomen which almost caused me to come off the table. "Yep", he said. "That's your gallbladder. That's what's causing your pain." So, this Friday that bad boy is coming out! I can't wait. It's a super simple procedure. Just 3 small incisions. It's outpatient surgery.

My favorite part of the appointment was when the surgeon said, "Wow. You're so thin I can easily feel your aorta." It was the weirdest compliment ever, but I grinned from ear to ear like a dork because a real-life doctor called me "thin".

I'm not nervous about the surgery itself, but I will be put to sleep and my body does not handle anesthesia well at all. If you think about it, please pray that my body handles it alright. Thanks!


5 comments:

  1. Just out of curiosity.....what happens to your body when you have anesthesia? I was just wondering because if you say funny things, act silly, or anything in that category, I think I may have to cancel my trip to NY to come and vidoe tape.
    Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make donkey noises whilst pretending to be Jack Bauer. Seriously, I get really nauseated, light-headed and throw up a ton. But you're welcome to come home early and wipe up all my vomit. It would thrill Nathan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How in the world you make surgery funny is beyond me!
    love you....Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. can't stop laughing at reagan's conversation with the dr.
    ~heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to know about this shock thing...did they for real do that to you? I have never in my life ever heard of anything like that...

    ReplyDelete