Thursday, February 11, 2010

Loving and Knowing My Child


On Tuesday, I went to Landon's preschool class for Muffins with Mom. Nathan went last week for Doughnuts with Dad. I really wish "Mommy" started with the letter "D", although my blueberry muffin was quite tasty!

Landon wakes up each morning excited to go to school because of two simple reasons:

1. His teacher loves him.
2. His teacher knows him.

I am in the process of registering Landon for kindergarten. I plan on including a letter requesting certain qualities I would like to see in his teacher. I want Landon to have loads of time to read real books each day. I want him to have opportunities to talk, respond, reflect, and question. I want him to have choice. I want him to experience meaningful, purposeful teaching and learning. I want him to laugh. I want him to feel safe. I want him to sing. I want his love for learning to grow. I want his strengths to be appreciated. Translation: I want him to be known and loved. When a teacher knows and loves her students it is evident in every single thing she chooses to do from beginning to end. That is my hope for my son.

6 comments:

  1. I wish I taught kindergarten--Landon and I would have soooo much to talk, read, and write about!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want the same thing for my little Sam! I am so lucky that all three kindergarten teachers at my school exemplify all of your characteristics! Sam will be happy and lucky no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't ask for much, do you Christy? It must be the teacher in you (& Merritt). When my first went off to K5 I would never have been able to articulate any of that. Now, with #3 going, I understand more of what you are saying. Thank goodness for awesome K5 teachers! Can you believe they are about to start kindergarten? Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dear sweet Christy - you are describing yourself:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How very well put Christy! We held Rivers back this year (b/c of Aug. 22nd b-day, etc.) so I'm thankful to have another year before kindergarten! Time just flies!

    ReplyDelete