Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Crock Pot Barbecue Recipe

I posted a recipe last Wednesday and, since I'm all for traditions that produce goodness, I'm posting another one today and I'll continue posting recipes each Wednesday until I'm all out. If you've ever eaten at my house you've eaten this. It's almost all that I cook when company comes over, especially lots of people. For the first 23 years of my life I called this "Hash". My grandmother (this is her recipe) calls it hash. Anyone that lives in Boiling Springs, SC calls it hash. But then I moved to Columbia, SC, got married, and learned that in Columbia (and probably the rest of the world) it's called "Barbecue".
Whatever you decide to call it, it will be delicious.

Ingredients:
4 lbs. stew meat
2 8-oz. cans tomato sauce
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. garlic powder or 1 tsp. garlic salt
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 tsp. cloves
2 chopped onions
1/2 c. vinegar (I use apple cidar vinegar b/c that's what my grandmother uses and I do exactly what she does.)
1/4 c. brown sugar
black pepper (to taste)

Directions:
Put in crock pot and cook on low 10-12 hours.
About 1 hour before it's finished, take off some of the liquid and mash with a potato masher. You can serve with chili sauce. Our family eats ours in hamburger buns. We eat it nestled next to baked beans, potato salad, and chips with french onion dip.

1 comment: