Friday, February 26, 2010

Circus Day. Check.



I'm the least crafty person I know. I don't sew. I don't buy cute fabric and blog about it. You'll never find me gluing buttons to picture frames or having my children use their hand prints to make wreaths or hearts. I like to leave that kind of thing to Sunday School teachers and A.C. Moore clinics and play dates at other kids' houses.

So, you can imagine my disappointment when I heard the news a month ago that Landon needed to dress up as a circus animal or circus performer for Circus Day at preschool. Of course, Landon and I immediately began searching through his box of dress up clothes for something, ANYTHING, that could pass as a circus creature. We found nothing. Well, that was about a month ago and I never thought one more thing about it.....until less than 24 hours before Circus Day. I walked Landon into school to speak with his teacher about something and she said, "Landon! What are you going to dress up as for Circus Day?" Landon responded, "We haven't even thought about it." Awesome, son. Way to go.

Later that day, I told Landon we had to think of something. "What can we throw together, Landon?" He responded, "But, Mommy! Alexander's mommy is sewing his costume!" After a very rude and loud, "WELL, I DON'T SEW", I was off to A.C. Moore. Praise the Lord for the employees of A.C. Moore (well, except for the part where the lady that helped me, knew me and when I told her I wasn't crafty, she responded, "But you're a first grade teacher!" I held my tongue.) She graciously pointed me to some felt and adhesive paper stuff. And I was on my way. I crafted and I crafted and I crafted as Landon stared and said "cool" about a million times. And the final product was that shirt in the picture. The hat was made at school. The shorts were in his drawer. The green socks are from two soccer seasons ago. And that's as crafty as I get. Circus Day. Check.

3 comments: