Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Using our gifts.

Today my mind is on gifts.

As women, it's easy to compare ourselves to others. To what others have. To what others can do. To how others look.

I wish I could sew like her.
I wish I could sing like her.
I wish I were as smart as she.
I wish my house looked like hers.
I wish I was funny like her.
I wish my body looked more like hers.
I wish the inside of my car looked like hers and didn't have dried french fries and socks and paperwork falling out of it (oh, is it just me?)

It's a dangerous place to live. Comparing ourselves to others. Especially when God says we are remarkably and wonderfully made. And we should know that full well! God has gifted us all in different ways. And during different seasons of life, we may experience different gifts. Instead of comparing ourselves to others, let's cling to His promises and steward well what we've been gifted.

Here are a few tangible examples.

Heather is crafty. And so full of peace. She can sew. She can smock. She can take a $2 find from a yard sale and turn it into a gem. So she started a craft club. Once a month she is inviting several friends over for a peace-filled craft night and is using her gifts to bless others.

Sally's gift is listening. And facilitating discussion. So she does that as a literacy coach in her full-time job but she also blesses others with her geniune, sincere listening personality in her all interactions. Every time I have dinner with her, I leave with a new nugget of wisdom on how to be a stronger, more intentional listener.

What are your gifts? You have them. And they aren't the same as your friends or your neighbors. How can you use your gifts to bless others?

Maybe your gift is baking. Bake stuff and bless others with it.
Maybe you have a big house. Invite people over and love them to pieces.
Maybe you have a bunch of money. Invest well and give generously.
Maybe you have a great voice. Sing.
Maybe you have cable. Invite me over to watch the game this weekend.

You're blessed. Stop looking at others talents and blessings and gifts and, instead, look at your own. And use them.

"Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms." 1 Peter 4:10







2 comments:

  1. I love this!! (and how you added at the end about the game) Thanks for reminding me how blessed I am and how I should be happy for my friends instead of secretly wanting to have what they have!!! lol You are so encouraging and such a wonderful person!! Thanks again for the wonderful reminder!!! ~Shannon~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder! I really enjoy reading your posts. :)

    Hmmm...my gifts--I'm creative (not crafty, LOL). Lately, for wedding and baby gifts I have been make scrapbooks. I make cards for an organization that sends them to troops overseas to send back home to family. I have donated several sets of homemade cars for auctions and raffles. I love being able to make something and give it as a gift, knowing that the recipient will be be able to look back at the project and have great memories. :)

    ReplyDelete