Monday, April 4, 2011

This is what six looks like.






Today that sweet stud turned 6. There are so many things about him that make me feel completely honored to be his mommy.
He's hilarious. He's a risk-taker. He's independent. He's a thinker. He's bold. He's fun. He's opinionated. He's active. He's brave. He's smart.

Huge memories of this past year that I never want to let go of are:

1. He got glasses and patches. And he handled that big change and responsibility like a trooper. I can count on one hand the number of times he's complained about having to wear his glasses. As you can see from the pictures above, I'm much too nervous to let him wear them while he's very active (i.e. playing basketball or out in the snow!!) but he takes great care of his glasses and has never once left them at school. I love that his bold personality has helped handle moments when other children have asked questions about his new lenses.

2. He started kindergarten. When I ask him to name his best friends he lists everyone in his class. I love his friendliness and that he's not needy or clingy. I love the ways he has grown as a reader this year. I love watching him read to Reagan and Connor. His favorite books right now are anything by Mo Willems, the Junie B. Jones books, and books with real pictures of animals. Last night around 9:45pm, Nathan heard a noise upstairs. He checked in Landon's room and heard his precious voice reading books aloud to himself. Although his bedtime is 8:00, we let it slide. :)

3. He takes great pride in being the "man of the house" when Nathan is working late or has a meeting. He helps me cook dinner, give the kids baths, and tuck the little ones in. And the next morning, he loves to tell his daddy what all he did to be the "man of the house." He likes to take care of his mommy and I love that!

4. He wrote a story two weeks ago called "God": "I know about God. Do you know about God? No one can be God." Short. Sweet. To the point. And true.

5. We went to Disneyworld this year and he was finally tall enough to ride all the rides (except Rock 'n Roller Coaster b/c it goes upside down). I love his courage. I am a big baby when it comes to roller coasters but I try very hard not to let my fears keep my children from encouraging them to try new things. Thankfully, Landon loves roller coasters and is scared of almost nothing. It was great to watch he and his daddy have a ball in Disneyworld riding so many rides together.

Landon,
I'm so glad I'm your mommy. I love your giggle, your freckles, your decisiveness, your love of chocolate, your hugs, your cool walk, the way you run to me when you get off the school bus, the way you play defense in basketball, and your sense of humor. I love our Tickle Zone game, the way you eat potato chips, watching you jump on the trampoline, and how gentle you are with Connor. I pray that this year you will continue to question, love, read, write, explore, hug, run, snuggle, and give. You are remarkably and wonderfully made. I love you a bajillion, million, trillion percent.
Love,
Mommy

3 comments:

  1. I love all those things, too, Christy. I want to add some:
    I love the way he raises his eyebrows and flashes that huge grin everytime someone picks up a camera!
    I love the way he always asks "Did you bring me a surpise?" and whether I did or didn't, he is still happy.
    I love the way he is shy when he is in the spotlight..like last night when the servers sang to him in the restaurant.
    I love the way he always hugs me when he sees me.
    I love to watch him eat and watch tv on my bed.
    I love what he named me...Gammy...when I THOUGHT I wanted to be Gram. Landon knew better!
    I love that he was my first grandchild!
    I love you, Landoni Maroni!
    Gammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Landon! You're doing a great job Nathan and Christy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good grief Christy! I'm crying! You should write for Hallmark Cous! You're a great mommy.

    Melissa Lawter

    ReplyDelete